Friday, November 28, 2008

the water is wide

The water is wide,
i cannot get o'er,
& neither I have wings to fly,
give me a boat,
that will carry two,
& both shall row my love & I.

A ship there is,
& she sails the sea,
she's loaded deep,
as deep can be,
but not so deep as the love I'm in,
I know not if,
I sink or swim.

Must I go bound while u go free,
Must I love a man who doesn't love me,
Must I be born with so little art,
as to love a man who'll break my heart.

I reached my finger into some soft bush,
thinking the fairest flower to find,
I pricked my finger into the bone,
and left the fairest flower behind.

When cocle shells turn silver bells,
Then will my love come back to me,
When roses bloom in winter's gloom,
Then will my love return to me.

May love be handsome,
May love be fine,
& Love's a jewel,
when it is new,
but when it is old,
it grow so cold,
& fade away like morning dew.......

I leaned my back up against an oak,
I thought it was a trusty tree,
but forst it bent and then it broke,
so did my love prove false to me.




This is a traditional English song. I started loving this song when I first heard it from the CD- Charlotte church enchantment. Well, it's quite true, when two person is in love, there'll be a honeymoon period. My friend told me it usually lasted for about 2 months. After that the relationship will like cool down a little bit. But if u don't keep the flame burning, the love will fade away like the morning dew dissipates.

No comments: